Best Films of 2012

The year 2012 saw many great movies. We saw old  franchises return , new ones launch and some surprise hits.Here is the list of my favorite movies of 2012.


The Watch - Most people wrote this film off as a real stinker of a movie, and I strongly disagree with that. While it might not be your conventional comedy where it appeals to everyone, it is most certainly a guys film. This is the kind of movie you watch when hanging out with the guys and just want to shut the brain down and enjoy yourself for a few hours.



Men in Black 3 - As a huge fan of the Men in Black series, I was excited as soon as I heard the series would return. After hearing they were shooting without a finished script and that the plot would involve time travel I was skeptical to say the least. Once I saw the final product I can say that I'm satisfied with it as a fan. It does what a sequel should do, progressed the story and brought back the characters we know and  love.


The Avengers- The first comic book movie that brings together characters from different series was finally released. As a comic book nerd I was happy to see Iron Man,Thor,Hulk,Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow come together. I like most people expected this film to essentially be Iron Man 3, but I was pleasantly surprised when it featured somewhat evenly distributed time between the characters. Director Joss Whedon did the film justice by making it feel as it should: a film about a dysfunctional family that needs to learn to work together when they are needed the most.


The Dark Knight Rises - After the 2008 smash hit The Dark Knight, I didn't know how they would approach a sequel. After learning they would be borrowing elements from the "Nightfall" story line from the comics my interest was peaked. The story telling and acting of the film was outstanding, but I feel the film is a tad longer than it needed to be and that is my only problem with it.


Ted- Upon hearing the premise of a movie about a 35 year old man and his foul mouthed teddy bear I was interested. After hearing it was a Seth Macfarlane movie I was expecting a long episode of family guy. Once I saw the film though it was pure magic. For as outlandish as the movie is, there is that one thing that everyone can relate to. We all had a favorite toy be it stuffed animal or something else that made us feel safe and secure , and this movie shows what happens when you just cant give that friend up.


The Expendables 2 - The Expendables was one of my favorite action films of the last decade. Upon hearing the sequel would be bigger and better I got excited! Adding more action stars to the mix was intriguing but at the same time it limited some of the other characters. Randy Couture , Terry Crews and Dolph Lundgren had  decent screen time, while Jet Li and Liam Hemsworth had what seemed like extended cameos.

Seeing the additions of Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger in bigger roles , as well as Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Damme really was a thing of beauty. This is every 80's action movie fans dream come true: explosions , gun fights and one liners, what more could you want? Overall the action more than makes up for it and is VERY satisfying to watch.


Brave- For a film which I only really saw because my niece wanted to see it , Brave was a pleasant surprise.
Not only did it have an excellent plot, but the animation was top notch. Some of the best I've seen yet in my opinion. Great for kids and adults since both will take something from this film, and that is a rare thing.


John Carter - Oh John Carter , you knew what kind of film you were, but this is a case of a company not knowing how to market correctly. After Disney made the choice to only show snippets of scenes instead of full blown trailers no one knew what the hell the movie was about. After looking more into the background and story of the film, my interest grew .


I will admit, I saw this one out of curiosity and I LOVED it. Not only did I enjoy the film, but it also interested me in reading the books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and they are amazing.  If you have not checked this film out , I suggest it . Most people passed on it resulting in a lackluster box office but I recommend giving it second chance on DVD.








Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)