The Amazing Spider-man


While I was never a hardcore Marvel comics fan, I've always liked Spider-man. From the comics and cartoons in the 90's, to the video games and finally the films. After Spider-man 3 came out to mixed results, they decided to reboot the series a few years later. So was The Amazing Spider-man really amazing, or just a cheap comic cash in?

Plot: Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner.

Thoughts: The films plot was actually an interesting and gripping story. It manages to retell the origins and path of Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man and actually feel fresh and it draws you in.

Acting: The acting overall was great, and I'd go as far as to say better than its predecessors. Andrew Garfield pulled off the role of a social outcast a lot better than Toby Maguire. Rhys Ifans also did a fantastic job as Dr. Connors / The Lizard, showing the transformation from man of science to mad man and did a brilliant job at it. 

My personal favorite cast members were Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Uncle Ben and Aunt May. They had such chemistry together and the conversations they have with Peter felt like the chats an Aunt or Uncle would have with you, making them more relatable. 

What I liked: The retelling of the origins was so streamlined that it wasn't as bad as most superhero based films. I know personally I dread when there is gonna be reboot of a film series like this , but here it was well done. 

I also liked that this time around Peter had to make his "web shooters" like in the comics that I remembered. That was one of the issues I had with the previous films, where Peter Parker could shoot webs from his wrist as part of his powers, which was corrected here.

What I disliked: While for the most part I enjoyed this film more than the previous Spider-Man films, I feel the original film handled showing Peter Parker's adjustment to and use of his powers a little better than they did here.  

Overall: As a whole, this film is great. It has the right mix of action, comedy and drama and it all blends  very well together. I found the film entertaining from start to finish, and the explosive ending was the perfect way to go. I'd go as far to say non comic fans might even enjoy this film.

Final Grade: A-


Trailer: 



Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)