The Hunger Games



While I never had any interest in the books, The Hunger Games did interest me as a film. With an all star cast and what sounded like a decent story idea behind it, I decided to finally check it out.

Plot: Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.

Thoughts: While my immediate thoughts went to "The Running Man", after watching it I really enjoyed the plot. Having never read the books I still enjoyed the story from the film version, which it succeeded on that point, as all films based on books should.

Acting: The acting was outstanding in this film. Jennifer Lawrence did an amazing job as Katniss, and her performance took me from not caring about the character, to actually rooting for her. She conveyed the feelings of the scene to a viewer in such a way that you feel the emotions and get invested in the film and story.

The supporting cast was amazing, featuring such stars as Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson. They all did a great job with their characters, Banks especially was almost unrecognizable as her character. I couldn't tell it was her until looking at the cast list.

What I liked: I LOVED the way the film used its music. During some of the heavier action sequences, using music over the actual audio created a powerful sequence on screen. 

What I disliked: At times there was a little too much going on screen. For instance the scene at the very start of the games was hectic. So much was going on that it was hard to keep track of what was happening.

Overall: For a film which I had mild interest in, The Hunger Games took me on one heck of a ride. It was a great roller coaster ride of emotions from pity to fear to excitement. All in all an enjoyable film to watch, even if you've never read the books.

Final Grade: A

Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)