Dark Shadows

.

Dark Shadows is a 2012 Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter and Eva Green. A remake of the 1966 television series of the same name, it is a dark comedy / fantasy film set in 1972. Now the question is, was it any good?

Barnabas Collins is a vampire who has been trapped in a coffin in the ground for 200 years. After being freed from his prison by some construction workers, he returns to his family estate to find his family is dysfunctional and in need of his help. Along the way we discover how he came to be a vampire, who trapped him in the coffin and why as well as see him find a love interest.

Now the direction of this film isn't really what I've come to expect from Tim Burton. It wasn't really as outlandish and stylistic as his previous films, for example BeetleJuice. Also unlike other Burton films I expect there to be a little more fun and drive from it. Here its just like getting a present all wrapped up in flashy paper, but finding an empty box: there's no real substance.

The acting was actually pretty decent, I just don't feel they fleshed out the characters enough for me to say "hey this is interesting , I want to know where this is going". Depp really seemed off in this movie, almost as though he was in his own little world. Depp for as good as he is felt more like he was Johnny Depp playing Johnny Depp. Michelle Pfeiffer also seemed to lack any real character to me. I felt Eva Green was good in her role and actually looked like she had fun playing a bad guy.

One thing I will say about this picture that I did enjoy was the choice of music. It was fitting for the time and in the scenes they used it in the songs made sense. It wasn't a case of just throwing a song in for the sake of having music there, it was tied into the scene and fit it emotionally.

Overall this was a very average movie, nothing to rant and rave about. This definitely isn't the best film from the partnering of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, I feel "Sleepy Hollow" holds that title. In all honesty this film bored me, but I kept giving it a chance thinking "maybe the ending will be enjoyable". I just couldn't enjoy it, I even went back and watched the old series thinking maybe I'd get something from it. I will say after that, skip this film and give the television series a watch, its much more enjoyable than watching this.

Score: 6/10

Trailer:



Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)