That's My Boy


When I heard there was a new Adam Sandler film coming out, I wrote it off immediately as crap. Then I heard Andy Samberg was in the movie and I thought there might be a chance, a long shot that this could be the movie that's different from other Sandler films. I then totally forgot about the movie until one day I see it's on Showtime and decided to give it a shot and watch it. Was it the total train wreck that you would expect from not only Adam Sandler, but his Happy Madison film company? I would say yes and no. 


The story itself had potential and for the most part it succeeded and was entertaining. It took the unusual premise for a comedy of having its main character be involved in a student/ teacher affair. It did make light of the idea by using the "guy point of view" where having sex with a teacher is a dream come true and an accomplishment. The rest of the film deals with Sandler and Samberg's  characters dealing with their fractured relationship. I will say the story did have its good moments as well as bad ones but was overall enjoyable. 

The acting really feels like it has in almost every other film Sandler has made in the last few years, where some of the actors barely appear to be trying to put on a good performance. I can't blame the actors so much as the writing of the film, as most of these actors have turned in better performances in other filmsand TV shows. As it turns out,  the actors that have the least amount screen time have the best performances. Actors like James Caan, Tony Orlando and Milo Ventimiglia turned in entertaining performances. One of the biggest curve balls this film threw at me was that Vanilla Ice ( Rob Van Winkle), would steal nearly every scene he was in, was entertaining and looked to be having fun even when he was making fun of himself.


There were two things in the film that really stood out to me that I liked. At the start of the film, Sandler's character bets on an overweight runner in a marathon to come in first place, and its a huge long shot. Over the course of the film, with its many bad jokes, I forgot about the setup for this joke in the first act. Much to my surprise, the joke actually has a payoff in the end and makes for a good ending.  I must also Say that having Eva Amurri Martino and her mother, Susan Sarandon play the younger and older versions of the teacher character involved in the affair was good since it actually looked like a realistic aging of the character as opposed to getting a random actress to play the character at an older age.


While its not the worst film ever, it's also not great. It has its moments where I felt entertained by it, but there were other moments where I didn't think it was really that funny. This is the kind of film where you have to be in a certain mood when you watch it, and I guess I saw it at the right time. Its no where near as bad as what most people or critics say it is, and makes for an okay film to watch if you don't take it too seriously. 


Verdict : A decent film with a few laughs and entertaining moments.

Trailer:

Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)