Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2011)




Released: April 28th 2011
Director: Kevin Munroe
Starring: Brandon Routh, Sam Huntington, Anita Briem, Taye Diggs


Plot: Supernatural detective Dylan Dog is called out of retirement to track down a valuable artifact before vampires get a hold of it and unleash its power.

The story of "Dead of Night" is actually pretty interesting and has several elements that make it fun to watch. The idea that theres a single person that was hired to keep peace between the zombies, vampires and werewolves is a pretty cool idea for a story. I can't compare it to the comic books as I have never read a single page of it, but from a film viewers standpoint I feel this film hit the points it was aiming for story wise.



This film also has a solid cast from a performance point of view. When he is brought up, Brandon Routh is always looked at as a "boring actor" but in my eyes he is anything but. He has a great chemistry with all of the actors in the film, especially Sam Huntington who plays his sidekick. The entire cast worked like a well oiled machine I can't think of a single performance from this film that I thought was bad.


One big highlight from the film was the creature effects on the various vampires, zombies and werewolves. All of the effects were great, but the one that really stood out to me was the effects on the zombies. The effects range from subtle with hazed eyes and decaying skin, to the more extreme "hulked up" zombies. 


I'll admit, when I bought this film a few years ago I was skeptical about it. Once I watched it though I had a fun time with it. It's a shame this film didn't perform so well at the box office, I would have loved to have seen where the story could have gone with a sequel. It's not a perfect film, but the fun aspects of the film made it really easy to overlook its negative points. If you overlooked this one, or didn't even know it existed, you should check it out if you're looking for a good horror/ buddy comedy.

Final Verdict: Enjoyable horror comedy

Trailer: 









Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)