Thoughts on the all female Ghostbusters reboot


Over the past few months, there has been one topic that comes up from time to time that I've had more than a few debates on and that's the possibility of an all female Ghostbusters reboot. It's a subject that has divided fans of the first 2 films as well as movie fans in general. I'm sure you've seen or heard about it somewhere, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

First I want to say that I'm not against the idea of rebooting the series and doing a gender swap on the characters. Hell over the course of time there were female Ghostbusters on "The Real Ghostbusters" and "Extreme Ghostbusters", so this is nothing new. Doing this isn't going to somehow ruin my enjoyment of the original film or its sequel.

  What I am against is that they are ignoring those movies and just doing a straight reboot instead of a continuation with a different story. Doing so makes it feel like this is some kind of stunt simply to appeal to the ladies and say "hey! look! we made the ghostbusters all women!" in order to draw them to theaters.

My second concern is getting a cast of females that can click and work well together. If the reported casting lineup is true, them I am mostly optimistic.
Kristen Wiig is funny in almost all of her roles, she has a personality that suits her perfectly for comedy. Two of the actresses, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon, I've never heard or seen until now since I haven't watched a episode of SNL in some time. I did however find some clips on youtube and will say I think they can do an alright job with it.

My main issue with the casting though is Melissa McCarthy. While she has had some funny moments in movies, most of her comedy feels forced to me. Unless she has someone strong backing her up, like a Jason Bateman, Sandra Bullock or her on screen husband from "Mike and Molly" Billy Gardell, she just doesn't come across as funny to me.

While I'm still questioning if I would watch this in theaters or not, I'm going to hold off answering until I see a trailer at the very least. I may be in the minority in that I'm not screaming and yelling about how this is ruining my childhood, but I'm far from backing this idea 100%. Who knows, the whole thing may fall apart as it has with other movies in the early stages of production. 


Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)