Pulp Fiction



Alright, I'll admit it, until this past weekend I had never seen Pulp Fiction. It was on my list of movies to watch, but I never got around to it. I had heard so much about the film in discussions with friends and others on the internet that I finally decided to set aside a few hours and watch it. Was it as groundbreaking of a film to me in 2015 as it was to cinema viewers in 1994? Lets take a look.

Plot Summary:  Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega are two hitmen who are out to retrieve a suitcase stolen from their employer, mob boss Marsellus Wallace. Wallace has also asked Vincent to take his wife Mia out a few days later when Wallace himself will be out of town. Butch Coolidge is an aging boxer who is paid by Wallace to lose his next fight. The lives of these seemingly unrelated people are woven together comprising of a series of funny, bizarre and uncalled-for incidents. 

When I read the summary, I thought I knew what to expect. What I got was not only some of the best storytelling I've seen in a movie, but also took me on a roller coaster of laughs, shocking moments and wondering what the hell was going on. This is the kind of story that has loosely connected segments in that you could have all of the scenes be separate shorts and still work, but are woven together so neatly that it enhances the enjoyment when viewed in the film.

The acting here is great all around. I'm usually not a fan of John Travolta, but here he worked well, especially with Samuel L Jackson. The other actors in the film include Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth and even the films director Quentin Tarantino. I can safely say that I enjoyed every performance, and it didn't matter if the actor was on screen for one minute or 30, they all delivered. This is one of the few films that I have seen that had no wasted screen time with the performances.

One of my favorite parts about watching this film is that while it has very grim situations, it's never too dark. It's the kind of movie you can put on after a long day and have it lift your spirits. It has situations where they are so tense, but seconds later you cant help but laugh.

Overall I can say this is a great film, one that makes me feel sad that I didn't watch it sooner. This is a film that has so many moments that standout and too many quotable lines to count. Everything about this film was enjoyable, from the scenery, the actions on screen and even the conversations between characters.

Verdict: Must see movie.

Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)