"Seventh Son" Review


It was around two years ago when I first heard of the film "Seventh Son". At the time I had no idea what the hell it could be about, especially with a name like that. Over time I actually forgot about the film and then late last year it popped back up on my radar. While I didn't get the chance to see it in theaters, I finally managed to see it now that it has been released on DVD and Blu ray, so here's my take on it.


Plot: Centuries ago, a supernatural champion named Master Gregory (Jeff Bridges) defeated Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore), a malevolent witch. Now, she has escaped imprisonment and thirsts for vengeance. She summons her followers and prepares to unleash her wrath on humanity. Only one thing stands in her way: Master Gregory. Gregory takes Tom Ward (Ben Barnes) as his new apprentice, but he has only until the next full moon to teach Tom what usually takes years: how to prevail against dark magic.


The film seems like a standard fantasy story of revenge and destiny...and it is. Now that's not a bad thing in some cases, but here I think it could have used a little more drive behind the story and without ruining some aspects of the tale I will say that some bits felt really under developed. It was overall an enjoyable story, but it felt bland at points leaving me with a feeling of "that's it?"  


The acting in the film, unlike the story was spot on. Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore were outstanding in their performances. I love when actors take roles that you aren't used to seeing them in and with Bridges doing more fantasy and science fiction films earlier in his career this felt like him getting back to his roots. Ben Barnes is actually an actor I hadn't heard of until this point, but for a first impression I think he did pretty well. He seems to be able to handle a wide array of styles from comedy, to drama and action.


Speaking of action The fight scenes in the film were good, but suffer from the frequent Hollywood issue of being a little too fast paced. You can't see what’s going on and in a film like this I feel it hurts the enjoyment a little.  This wasn't the case with every fight, but it was still there. 


Overall I thought this movie was an enjoyable distraction, but it did have its glaring faults.  The most obvious area was the final half of the film. Things felt so rushed that most of it didn't seem to even be fully developed.  Had the film been just a little longer to allow more time for a more satisfying ending, I think this would have helped it greatly.

Final Verdict: A decent film with so much untapped potential.



Popular posts from this blog

More fun Halloween movies!

Heartbreak Ridge

Curse of The Dragon Slayer AKA Saga: Curse of The Shadow (2013)